Waaahoooo! Despite a few more pieces of trim to hang, our entire 2nd home renovation is almost complete! Which means we finally have time to share all of the work that went into our renovations of our remodeled rooms. First up, we are sharing our before and afters of the first room we knocked out, our guest bathroom remodel. Check it out!
If you don’t remember what the bathroom looked like before we began demolition, we are here to share ’em!
We tackled this room first because we knew the guest bathroom would be a quick fix and of course
we I wanted to have a nice clean working bathroom while we were working 24/7 at the house.
Right away we knew we needed to gut the entire room, however hoping to salvage some pieces to save on cost. We also knew we wanted to bring the ceiling up. As you can see in the picture below the ceiling that hung over the shower was a drop down ceiling. Jamie removed this drop down ceiling, which helped enlarge the entire room.
We knew we wanted to repurpose the original vanity, but at this point we weren’t entirely sure what style we were going to go with in this bathroom, so we didn’t know if we would be able to salvage or not.Jamie started by gutting and tearing apart the entire room, which took him about 8 hours from start to finish.
He removed the tile with a jackhammer and took a sledgehammer to the walls. In the past we have also used an ice chipper to remove the tile, but a jackhammer works a lot faster. Just be sure to have on that protective eyewear as those shards of glass go flying!
The walls had a very thick plaster, knock down textured pattern on them that we either had to sand off or remove and replace the walls. Being it would be a lot quicker to remove and replace the sheetrock, we opted for that.
Above the sink, there was another drop down ceiling area which is also known as a suspended ceiling. We removed this drop down as well which helped even more to open up the entire bathroom.
Drop down ceilings used to give a stylish look that could also help hide wires, pipes, etc. But in my opinion, they make a room look very small, especially in an already tightly enclosed bathroom. And luckily these drop downs weren’t hiding any pipes or wires.
After deconstructing the room, Jamie hung the drywall. Drywall is pretty easy for anyone to hang, but at times you might need to have a helper to lift the heavy pieces while someone fastens them into place…this is where I come into play! 🙂 The standard size drywall sheet is 4×8, in which we typically always install vertically, running up and down. Make sure that when you are screwing the drywall into place that you are hitting studs. You also want to ensure that the screws are tightly into place, so give the drywall a little dimple but don’t tear it.
Once we got the drywall screwed into place, we taped and mudded the joints in between the dry wall panels. Below Jamie is using a swivel head pole sander to ensure that all of the walls were completely smooth. You will want this tool as well as a trowel.
There are two different types of mud you can buy, a dry mix in which you just add water or a ready-mixed mud. We buy the dry mix because it is cheaper.
To start, Jamie pressed a good amount of mud into each seam. Think of this as the glue for your tape. He ensured there was enough mud in each seem and then went over the mud and smoothed it out, removing any excess. Jamie then set the tape over the seems of mud. He used his trowel to smooth the tape once placed. He used the swivel head pole to get into smooth the tape in the corners. He then went over and covered any nail heads. Once Jamie finished taping and mudding the room, he let it dry overnight.
The next day we had to sand down all of the walls. Make sure the at the mud is completely dry before you begin sanding. And be sure to wear a face mask when sanding down the walls as it gets very dusty. Once we sanded down the walls Jamie again went back over all of the seems and nail heads with the mud. Again, we had to let dry overnight.
On the 3rd day, he again sanded and reapplied the mud onto the walls. This alone is a 3-4 day process, which took up the most time of this renovation.
We didn’t have to replace the bathroom tub as the former home owners left us a nice big cast iron tub. This tub would have been really hard to move and all it takes is a good cleaning and it’s as good as new! And on the plus side, we saved ourselves $500+.
We also ended up keeping and repurposing the vanity that they had in the house. We just replaced the countertop and sink. We primed and painted the base of the vanity black with an oil based black paint.
And how cute are these seahorses?! These were also original to the home. I just loved them and couldn’t replace them. And thought how perfect as this will be our kids’ bathroom!
Lastly, we painted the walls and re-hung the trim. The trim, we were also able to salvage. My mother-in-law introduced me to Old English, which you can pick up from any local hardware store. This product has changed my life. Old English made all of the trim in our house look brand new! Even where we had a nick or scrape, once we placed the Old English on the wood, it seemed to disappear.
For the paint, I picked out an off white, light grey paint called Horizon by Benjamin Moore. I like my bathrooms to always have a nice clean look to them, so I have always gone with an off white in our bathroom remodels.
We are so happy with the remodel of this bathroom! From start to finish it took us a week to remodel this bathroom. Be sure to check back for more updates on the renovation and remodel of our 2nd home!