Laundry rooms are areas designated to do the laundry. These are considered as a luxury by most people who have tiny houses as they cannot afford to waste any space on a separate designated area just to do the laundry. Others do not give a second thought when building the house or even renovating it as this is not a room that most people even think of. However, if one dedicates a separate area only to do laundry and adds a lot of storage space to this area, there are a lot of benefits that can be reaped as a result. This designated area makes life simple, makes the structure a lot better and makes the workload lighter by decreasing the amount of walking that one needs to do from one area of the house to the other just to do the laundry.
These rooms when fitted with cabinets or cupboards help to maximize the space as well as give the entire room a much neater and a more pleasant feel. Laundry cupboards are used for the following purposes:
- It helps the user store their clean laundry
- It helps the user to find all the materials needed for the laundry easily – these items include detergent, fabric softener, washing soap, washing powder, bleach, so on and so forth.
- It helps the user to organize the laundry related items in a way that they want
- It helps to decrease the dust in the laundry room by storing everything in cupboards. This reduces the amount of dusting that one needs to do as well as the cleaning one needs to do as compared to if the shelves were open and uncovered and also the bottles, boxes and items were left on these shelves to collect dust.
- It helps to make the room look more tidy and organized
- It helps store mops, brooms and cleaning material
- It helps to beautify the room
Laundry cupboards and cabinets come in a variety of colors, sizes, shapes and materials. One can easily choose a range of materials – metal, wood, fiber, plastic, glass and so many more. One can have the cupboards in the style, color and material to match the décor of the rest of the house. One can also have these cupboards in light colors to make the room look brighter and airier.
Even though these cupboards can be made of a variety of materials, some people still prefer to go with wood as it gives an old world charm and also gives a more traditional look and feel. However, what one needs to ensure when the material being used is wood is that the wood cabinets or cupboards need to be sealed well; else there are chances of it warping due to the moisture which is there from the washing machine as well as the dryer. In case of excess moisture there are chances of the wood getting moldy as well as fungus growing on it or in extreme cases, it may even rot.
Laundry cabinets and cupboards are of different types. Some stores the mops and brooms, the overhead wall cabinets can be used to store the detergents, washing powders and cleaning cabinets. There are also garment cupboards to hold working clothes and there are separate ones that can hold dirty clothes. Those that have very small spaces should bookend the laundry cupboards with open shelves. The cabinets and cupboards should have a lot of storage capacity. One can even add additional hampers or racks or even drawers to these cupboards and closets or cabinets.