Oh happy day!! We’re excited to finally be able to share our full before and after master bathroom remodel. This was one of our our favorite remodeled rooms we have done so far! Jamie and I loved working on this room together and especially for how it turned out for having no clue on where to begin or what we were going to end up with when we first started the renovation.
We knew this master bathroom was going to take some time. And being it was our main bathroom we were going to be using everyday, we wanted it to be awesome!!
Being we weren’t sure on how we wanted this room laid out we decided to start by gutting the entire room. Jamie started by removing the toilet, then the tiles, and then finally the walls.
Unlike the guest bathroom, Jamie removed these tiles by hand with a pry bar. He didn’t need to use a hammer drill because these tiles were easily removable.
Behind these frames was the former shower and closet. As we mentioned, we had no idea how we wanted the layout of the bathroom to be, so Jamie thought is would be easiest to just tear the entire bathroom apart and take everything down so we could visualize a new layout and start fresh.
However, besides making the shower a lot bigger, we realized quickly that there wasn’t a way to have a different layout with the shower, closet, toilet, and vanity in such a small space.
So on that note…Jamie wasn’t too happy with himself for having to re-frame and sheetrock what he had just torn apart…
We were able to salvage some wood pieces from around the house and incorporate them into our new vanity. We ended up using a drawer piece that was originally used in the kitchen as desk drawers and built a new vanity around the drawers. With a little white paint, a new countertop, hardware, and faucets we were able to upcycle pieces from around the house and save a lot of money on buying a brand new vanity.
As you know, we mastered our 1st DIY concrete countertop project. We were very happy on the look of how the countertop turned out. Here is a picture of the mold Jamie created for the concrete countertops.
You can read up on how we made our DIY concrete countertops here.
For the mirrors I bought two black matching oval mirrors at Walmart for under $10 bucks and I spray painted them silver to match the fixtures.
We bought chrome light fixtures from Menards to match the faucets and hardware.
Cordless blinds make raising and lowering your blinds a snap and make for a clean and uncluttered look. At first I was a little hesitant on spending the extra money on them, but now that I have them they were worth every penny. There is no constant adjusting and they are kid-friendly. We picked these blinds up from Home Depot.
We made the shower a lot larger than it once was. We picked our white subway tiles for the shower walls from Lowe’s. For the shower floor, we went with white octagonal tiles from Lowe’s.
After Jamie got the shower framed, he first centered and placed the nook.
Jamie then hung the durarock up and taped and mudded the joints. He then applied his professional water proofing. Being Jamie is a professional waterproofer by day, he is able to use his waterproofing techniques with his home remodels.
Once the nook was tiled he again started from the middle of the shower, the drain, and worked his way out to make sure every piece of tile was even.
As we mentioned in our previous post on our herringbone flooring, we originally were going to lay white tile. However, when the white flooring tiles that we purchased from The Tile Shop didn’t match the already placed white subway tiles in our shower, we opted to go with a dark wood looking tile. You can read all the details of laying our herringbone flooring here.
We are thrilled with our master bathroom remodel, there isn’t a thing we would change! The only thing we still want to do is get a glass door for the shower. However, we are taking our time on that and keeping her eyes peeled for a good bargain. Those things aren’t cheap!